Why is it so important to change your oil?
Regular oil changes are essential in maintaining your vehicle for the life of the vehicle to keep it running efficiently. The job of the oil in your car is to keep all moving parts running smoothly, clean and cool. In between oil changes it is also very important that the level of the oil be checked because every vehicle has a different oil capacity ranging from 3.5 quarts for smaller car all the up to 10 -12 quarts for heavy duty diesel trucks, losing up to 1 quart between oil changes can be detrimental, low levels can cause the engine to run less efficiently and/or cause serious damage.
How often should I change my oil?
That’s a great question, and we are so glad you asked! This is quite a controversial topic. We have seen owners manuals with suggestions to go as long as 10,000 miles or 12 months between oil changes. As wonderful as that sounds, its simply not true and we sympathize. How often you change you oil depends on lots of different factors;
- Type of oil your vehicle calls for (synthetic blend oil VS full synthetic oil)
- Driving conditions (gravel roads VS paved roads)
- Type of driving (in town lots of stop and go VS extended highway miles)
- How often you drive? Limited driving can sometimes be worse then driving lots of miles
- Are you towing a heavy trailer often?
The bottom line is, your vehicle needs clean oil to full capacity to run efficiently.
When you have your oil changed here at McCabe’s Automotive in the Greater Tacoma Area, you can expect a thorough and complete inspection of your vehicle. The goal is to detect potential health problems before they happen and make sure your vehicle is as reliable and efficient as it should be!
Three helpful tips from the team at McCabe’s!
- Change your oil regularly!
- Check you oil level often & if you don’t know how please feel free to stop by, the team at McCabe’s is happy to help!
- Enjoy the drive!
Give us a call today to schedule your appointment with one of our specialists!